SALMAN Ramadan Abedi was the cowardly suicide bomber who killed 22 innocent victims and maimed many more at the Manchester Arena in May 2017.
Here's what you need to know about the man who carried out the sickening attack.
This was the first picture of Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi
Who was Manchester terror attack suicide bomber Salman Abedi?
Salman Ramadan Abedi was born in Manchester on New Year's Eve in 1994.
He grew up in Britain, but his parents are originally from Libya and he is thought to have visited the North African country – a haven for ISIS fighters – regularly in the six years leading up to the Manchester bombing.
One one occasion he was allegedly rescued from a conflict by a Royal Navy warship.
Friends told of his wild youth of booze and taking drugs – and his Dumbo nickname because of his big ears.
The 22-year-old's identity was revealed after teams of armed cops swooped on his address in Fallowfield, Manchester.
Eyewitnesses told how bomb disposal officers were spotted entering the house before a controlled explosion took place.
Minutes before setting off his rucksack bomb Salman phoned his nuclear scientist mum Samia and said: "Forgive me", Libyan security forces claim.
Was Salman Abedi linked to ISIS?
The Sun revealed that Abedi had secret jihadi training after slipping into Syria during a family trip to Libya.
But security forces appeared to have missed a number of chances to stop him after classmates and his own mother warned he was "dangerous".
He had spent three weeks in Libya and was reportedly in Dusseldorf – another terror hotbed – four days before the Manchester Arena attack.
It was also claimed he visited Frankfurt in 2015 "to meet like-minded extremists".
Salman's brother Hashem was arrested in Tripoli following the attack in Manchester and the UK sought Hashem's extradition from Libya.
Late last year the North West Counter Terrorism Unit applied for a warrant for Hashem's arrest.
Hashem's extradition from Libya was delayed in April 2019 due to fighting in the north African country.
Hashem was reportedly being held by Libya's Special Deterrence Force, a militia group based in Tripoli.
Who claimed responsibility for the deadly attack?
The Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the Manchester bomb attack.
Hours after the deadly attack ISIS jihadis celebrated the “successful and surprising” attack and claimed it was "revenge for Mosul airstrikes".
One jihadi shared a shot of injured children, saying: “It seems that bombs of the British airforce over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just came back to Manchester.”
Former top anti-terror cops said the terror attack was “well planned” and “sophisticated”.
Lee Dodderidge, who used to be a member of the National Counter Terrorism Office (NCTO), told Radio 5 Live: “Alarm bells for me are ringing at the moment because this would have appeared to have taken quite a considerable amount of planning.
“Albeit, some people may look at it and say it is a lone wolf – it does indicate there was a lot of planning put into this attack.”
Former NCTO head Chris Phillips added that the attack showed a “step up” from the type of low tech attacks seen recently.
The deadly attack was carried out on the fourth anniversary of soldier Lee Rigby's murder at the hands of Islamic extremists.
Inquests for the 22 people who lost their lives in June were set to take place on November 24, 2017, but were put back until next year as investigators continue to gather evidence.
In a message on the website of Manchester Coroner’s Office's website, it says: “The pre-inquest review hearing provisionally listed for 24 November 2017 will not be going ahead.
“It has been postponed to a date to be confirmed in early 2018, as the evidence gathering process is still ongoing.”
Source: Read Full Article