Vulnerable pensioner is discovered living in rat-infested house

Vulnerable pensioner is discovered living in a filthy rat-infested house with no electricity, heating or running water, as council move him into a care home saying his life was at risk

  • Ashfield District Council’s environmental health team were alerted to the house
  • An elderly man was living in a squalid rat invested house in a private home
  • Officials found the man living in the house with no electricity, heating or water
  • The man has been moved to a care home and the house was sold at auction  

An elderly resident’s life has been saved after he was found to be living in a filthy rat infested house with living conditions posing a serious risk to his life.

An emergency inspection of the house was made by Ashfield District Council’s environment health team after they were made aware of a resident living in appalling conditions in a privately owned property in Selston.

And officers found the resident living alongside a large infestation of rats with no electricity, heating or water.

The property was also in a serious state of disrepair and structural collapse.

Council officers moved the elderly resident into a local care home because of ill health.

Councillor John Wilmott, cabinet member for licensing at the council, said: ‘The owner of the property was vulnerable and living in an awful condition that could have ended his life.

A pensioner was discovered living in a rat infested home without heat, electricity or running water in Selston, Nottinghamshire

The local council re housed the man in a care home and then placed his property up for auction

The environmental health team helped the man sell his house which has since been renovated into a family home

‘The amount of filth in the property was unimaginable, it was truly unbelievable that someone could live that way, but thanks to the work of our officers, he never has to live like that again.

‘The council is committed to supporting vulnerable residents and utilising all available resources to ensure the empty and dangerous homes are made safe and reoccupied.’

The environmental health team helped the owner sell his house at auction which has now been renovated into a family home.

Source: Read Full Article