Terrifying moment a charging hoverboard explodes in fireball leaving disabled mum in a coma after house blaze

SHOCKING footage shows the moment a hoverboard battery exploded leaving a mum in a coma fighting for her life.

A ferocious blaze broke out at a family home in Smethwick, Birmingham, after the device set alight while charging – just feets away from Jacqueline Barrett's bedroom.

The 54-year-old mum who suffers from multiple sclerosis and heart problems was rushed to hospital and put into an induced coma after the fire ripped through her home just after 5pm on Saturday, November 13.

In an emotional plea to others to be careful when charging electrical devices, Jacqueline's son has released a home security video of the moment the fire started.

The startling footage shows sparks flying from the device before a ball of flames erupts in the lounge. The lithium ion battery spewed its molten contents across the room – next to Jacqueline's downstairs bedroom.

Son Shane Johnson, who is also her carer, said: "It’s awful. My mum’s really ill in hospital. The fire and smoke damage to the house is just unbelievable.

"Mum called me moments after it happened, to say there’d been some sort of explosion. The first thing I did was call the fire service, then got in the car to get to her as quickly as possible.

"I called my dad and some friends. Some got there before me, and dad had tried to kick the door in to get to mum, but the heat from the fire was just too much."

The 34-year-old added: "If anyone needs a warning about leaving things unattended when they’re charging, or plugged in when they’re fully charged, this is it. It could happen to anyone."

Crews from West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) responded to the incident in Stony Lane just after 5pm on Saturday 13 November. Five fire engines and a Brigade Response Vehicle, crewed by a total of nearly 30 firefighters, tackled the fire.

The first crew arrived within five minutes of being mobilised and were met with a severe fire in the semi-detached property. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly located and brought Jacqueline out of her downstairs bedroom before she was taken to hospital by ambulance.

A WMFS fire investigator has confirmed that the fire started accidentally, as a hoverboard was being charged in the house.

Pete Wilson, WMFS’s Strategic Lead for Prevention, said: "This incident is horrific. Our thoughts are with Jacqueline, her family and friends at such a difficult time.

"We are extremely grateful to Shane for allowing us to share the home security video. It should send a clear warning to people to take utmost care when charging electrical items.

"The warning is particularly timely in the run-up to Christmas, when we know people will be buying electrical items. Please – always buy goods from reputable retailers and check they meet British safety standards."

The Sun Online have previously reported a number of incidents where batteries overheated and caught fire when charging.

In 2018, a mum and her four children have been left homeless after their house was destroyed by a fire started by a hoverboard.

Also, a mum says a faulty hoverboard blew up her car seconds after she leapt to safety.

Earlier in 2016, a family ‘nearly died’ after a hoverboard bought as a Christmas present exploded “like a firework” in their home.

    Source: Read Full Article