PRINCE Philip today waved as he arrived home at Windsor in "good spirits" after his longest ever stint in hospital.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was admitted to hospital four weeks ago after feeling unwell – going on to have treatment for an infection before having heart surgery two weeks ago.
And this morning staff were seen setting up a white, folding screen next to a black BMW at the rear of the private King Edward VII's Hospital in London.
Prince Philip was then taken outside in a wheelchair before getting into the car, seen being driven away.
About an hour later, he arrived at Windsor to be reunited with the Queen – appearing in good spirits as he waved to cameras as he was driven into the grounds.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: "The Duke of Edinburgh has today been discharged from King Edward VII’s Hospital and has returned to Windsor Castle, following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition.
"His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII’s Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes."
A palace source added the duke was in "good spirits".
It comes as…
- The Queen was seen wearing a brooch she wore on her honeymoon
- Aides dismissed Meghan and Harry's interview as a 'sideshow'
- Omid Scobie said the Royal Family 'lack empathy towards outsiders' who marry into the Firm
- Prince Charles is reportedly yet to speak to Harry after the bombshell interview
The 94-year-old monarch has continued to fulfil her royal duties while her husband of more than 70 years spent 28 days in hospital, with Her Majesty taking part in Zoom calls, finalising Megxit and issuing a Commonwealth Day Service message.
The duke had initially been taken by car to the private King Edward VII's Hospital in central London on February 16, after telling his doctor he felt unwell.
But two weeks later, the duke – who will turn 100 in June – was moved to St Bartholomew's Hospital in the City of London by ambulance.
The duke underwent a successful procedure on a pre-existing heart condition at Barts on March 3, just three months before his 100th birthday, before returning to King Edward VII's a few days later to recuperate and continue his treatment.
Philip was visited in King Edward VII's on February 20 by Prince Charles, who made a 200-mile round trip from his Gloucestershire home and stayed for about 30 minutes.
Concern about the duke has been heightened because of his advanced age and his hospital stay comes amid troubled times for the royal family.
During Philip's spell in hospital the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plunged the monarchy into a crisis by accusing a member of the royal family of racism – not the Queen or Philip – and claiming that Meghan received no support with her mental health problems.
Harry and Meghan faced calls to postpone their interview with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey because Philip was unwell, but it went ahead and the couple made a string of claims about their struggles as working royals.
The Queen, 94, said in a statement afterwards that the issues are concerning, but that "some recollections may vary" and the matter is a family one that will be dealt with privately.
Meanwhile, the Duke of Cambridge defended the House of Windsor, saying during a recent visit to a school in east London: "We're very much not a racist family."
Philip has been treated for heart problems in the past and in 2011 was taken to hospital by helicopter from Sandringham after suffering chest pains as the royal family was preparing for Christmas.
He was treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire and underwent a minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting.
The duke had been spending the latest lockdown at Windsor with the Queen for their safety, alongside a reduced household of staff dubbed HMS Bubble.
The couple, who have been married for 73 years, received their first Covid-19 jabs in January.
Source: Read Full Article