Arsenal's Gabriel sent off vs Man City with first yellow coming after 'comment to referee' and NOT scuffing penalty spot

ARSENAL defender Gabriel was sent off after receiving two yellow cards in THREE minutes – including one for a 'comment' to referee Stuart Atwell.

It initially appeared the Gunners centre-back received his first booking for messing up the penalty spot after Granit Xhaka brought down Bernardo Silva to hand the defending Premier League champions a spot kick.

But Arsenal assistant Albert Stuivenberg – standing in for Mikel Arteta who was absent due to Covid – later confirmed it was due to a remark the defender made to Attwell.

Stuivenberg said: "He [Gabriel] made a remark to the referee. A normal comment. The players confirmed that and he gave a yellow card."

Riyad Mahrez then stepped up to dispatch the penalty and cancel out Bukayo Saka's opener.

But things would get worse for Gabriel just moments later as he was given his marching orders.

A long punt downfield from Man City keeper Ederson saw Gabriel Jesus swiftly turn the Arsenal man in the middle of the pitch.

But before he could get away from Gabriel he was blocked in a cynical manner.



Join Sun Vegas now to get £10 free with no deposit required


Get £50 in special bingo bonuses plus 50 free spins when you join Sun Bingo


Fabulous Bingo new customer offer: Get free £5 bonus with no deposit required


Win cash, free spins and vouchers with Sun Bingo's 12 days of Christmas draw

Official Attwell had no choice but to book the Arsenal defender once more and show him a red card.

Speaking about the two yellows prior to the revelation that Gabriel's first caution was the result of dissent, Ferdinand said: "Stupid, immature, petulant.

"Straight away after that incident you commit a foul like that and you're in disbelief."

Ferdinand also believes the second booking was 'even more stupid' than the initial yellow.

In between Gabriel's two bookings, Gabriel Martinelli missed an open goal sitter for Arsenal after Nathan Ake had cleared Aymeric Laporte's misjudged header off the line.

Gabriel's sending off meant in a flash the Gunners went from having the chance to go 2-1 up to being a man down with the score still level.

And Arsenal were made to pay as Rodri scored a stoppage time winner to hand City a 2-1 victory.

Saka had given Arsenal the lead shortly after the half hour mark when he swept home from the edge of the area.

It was a superb first half performance from the hosts as they caused City all sorts of problems in the final third.


But City found their way back into the match through Mahrez's penalty – a spot kick which was given after Xhaka both tripped and grabbed hold of Silva's shirt.

Arsenal looked set to hold onto a point before Rodri bundled home the winner from close range in added time.

The win takes City 11 points clear of second place Chelsea in the Premier League title race.

Read our Transfer News Live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals

    Source: Read Full Article