Woman almost died after abscess developed behind her breast implants

A young woman almost died after contracting deadly infections from an abscess behind her breast implants.

Jemma Walker, 23, thought she was going to die when doctors told her that she was diagnosed with sepsis .

The infections also caused her body to attack its own tissues and organs, reports the North Wales Live .

Her family members were left devastated as the medics initially were not sure if she would pull through the ordeal.

Jemma said she noticed a tight stitch-like sensation in her chest and could not breathe properly about two weeks ago.

She took some painkillers and went to bed but was shocked to find her left breast swollen when she woke up.

She was taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital where doctors confirmed that she had contracted sepsis and bacterial infections, as well as high levels of inflammation in her body.

Sepsis, also referred to as blood poisoning, is a serious complication of an infection that can lead to multiple organ failure and death.

Tests also revealed that there was an abscess developed behind her left breast implant.

Jemma, who works at Darwin Escapes Holiday Parks in Talacre, said: "I got rushed to surgery where they drained the abscess and spent three days in intensive care and five days on the high dependency unit.

"It was touch and go for the first three days and I really thought I was going to die. The doctors didn't even know if I would make it."

Miraculously, she was discharged after battling the condition for 11 days and remains on antibiotics.

Having learnt how important her health is, Jemma now wants to make people aware of the signs of sepsis – which include slurred speech or confusion, extreme shivering or muscle pain, passing no urine, severe breathlessness and mottled or discoloured skin.

She said: "I've been told so many times by doctors how lucky I am to be alive and it upsets me to hear how close I was to death.

"I couldn't have got through it without all the staff who cared for me – a massive thanks goes out to them. They were absolutely amazing.

"This has made me appreciate life much more."

Source: Read Full Article