Save articles for later
Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.
London – Russell Brand has been interviewed under caution by the Metropolitan Police over allegations of sexual offences.
In September, the 48-year-old comedian was accused of rape, assault and emotional abuse between 2006 and 2013, following claims made against him in a Channel 4 Dispatches documentary.
Russell Brand leaves the Troubadour Theatre at Wembley Park after his show on September 16.Credit: AP
Brand was questioned by detectives at a police station in South London on Nov 16. A statement given to The Telegraph said: “A man in his 40s attended a police station in south London on Thursday November 16 2023.
“He was interviewed under caution by detectives in relation to three non-recent sexual offences. Inquiries continue.”
Following the Channel 4 Dispatches episode, the force encouraged potential victims to come forward amid the sexual assault allegations, which were said to have taken place during the height of Brand’s fame when he was working for the BBC, Channel 4 and starring in Hollywood films.
Brand has strongly denied the allegations, which include claims of controlling, abusive and predatory behaviour.
In a YouTube video before the allegations against him were revealed, Brand described the claims as “a litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks” and has said all relationships were “absolutely, always consensual”.
Brand said that while he was “very promiscuous” at the height of his career, he absolutely refuted the “very serious allegations” against him.
He added: “The relationships I had were absolutely always consensual. I was always transparent about that then, almost too transparent, and I’m being transparent about it now as well.”
The force said it had since received a “number of allegations of sexual offences in London” as well as elsewhere in the country.
Russell Brand pictured during the height of his fame in 2009.Credit: Simon Schluter
Two more complainants
Earlier this month, the BBC said two more complainants had come forward since it launched a review into the behaviour of Brand, who worked on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 6 music programmes from 2006 to 2008.
The broadcaster said a total of five complaints had now been made directly to the BBC, one of which included “allegations of inappropriate conduct in the workplace, including urinating in bottles in a BBC studio”.
Representatives for Brand have been approached for comment.
It has previously been revealed that a team that was set up by the BBC after Jimmy Savile’s abuse came to light is helping police investigate the rape and sexual assault allegations being made against Brand.
The Hydrant Programme urged people to report any allegations to investigators. Det Supt Andy Furphy, who is leading the inquiry, said: “We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.”
Brand has been axed by publishers and agents and demonetised by YouTube.
He claimed that moves to demonetise his content on social media platforms in the wake of sexual assault allegations made against him have occurred “in the context of the Online Safety Bill”.
Most Viewed in Culture
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article