My brother has a drinking problem and I really want to help him beat it

DEAR DEIDRE: MY brother’s an alcoholic but he won’t admit he has a problem. I’m at the end of my tether but I can’t just do nothing.

My brother is 50. He has two children but his wife divorced him over his drinking. I’m his 53-year-old sister.

He came to live with me while he sorted himself out after he left the family home.

I live in a small flat and he has the box room.

I provide everything for him while he spends his money on alcohol.

I could write a book about all the issues caused by his drinking. I don’t know what to do.

DEIDRE SAYS: You need to accept that you can’t take all the responsibility for your brother’s life.

When he is sober, tell him how his behaviour affects you. Urge him to get help.

Say you’ll have no choice but to ask him to leave unless he makes some major changes.

My e-leaflet Problem Drinker In The Family? will help you confront him and explains sources of support.

Source: Read Full Article