Dog owners warned after puppy nearly died eating pizza ‘Even small bits can be dangerous’

RSPCA Radcliffe tell the tragic story of rescued dog Bella

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Little Mabel had to be rushed to the vets for emergency treatment after eating uncooked pizza dough which continued to rise in her stomach. Lucy Trewinnard and her wife Claire were getting ready to use their new outdoor pizza oven for the first time to celebrate Claire’s birthday when they accidently dropped an uncooked pizza base on the floor and Mabel ate it.

Uncooked dough can be fatal for dogs as it continues to rise and expand in their stomach. This causes bloating and can result in gastric-dilatation volvulus (GDV), which is a fatal twisting of the stomach.

As the yeast ferments, it also produces carbon dioxide and alcohol which can be absorbed into the bloodstream. This can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, body temperature and potentially seizures.

Mabel was rushed to the local emergency vet in Tunbridge Wells, Kent where vets induced sickness to bring up the food.

Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.

When you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.

Maybe when you’ve done that, leave a recommendation to help fellow dog owners in the TeamDogs community.

Thanks to the life-saving treatment, Mabel made a full recovery.

Lucy and Claire have spoken out to warn other pet owners. Lucy said: “Since we got Mabel we have been really vigilant with things like onions and garlic which could harm her but I never expected a bit of yeast could be so tricky.

“It was undoubtedly the most expensive pizza we have ever had, but the main thing was making sure that Mabel was safe.

“We couldn’t bear it if anything happened to her. She has become such a big part of our lives already.

“The night we got back from the vets you could tell Mabel was feeling a bit sorry for herself and she kept giving us the ‘feed me please’ eyes.

“But by the next morning, she was pretty much back to normal – running around crazy, burying things down the sofa and playing with the squeaky Santa toy she got for Christmas.”

DON’T MISS
Harry & Meghan’s attacked for Philip statement – couple ‘ignored’ rule[ROYAL]
Vine caller who lost niece at 38 hits out at Philip tributes[TV]
Prince Harry ‘feels guilty’ he couldn’t say goodbye to Prince Philip[ROYAL]

Senior vet nurse Anna Moran, who was part of the team at Vets Now in Tunbridge Wells who treated Mabel, said her owners did the right thing in seeking help quickly.

She said: “The thing about yeast, which is what gives bread its fluffiness, is that it is a living organism and, if swallowed by a dog, it continues to expand and that can cause serious health issues. Even small amounts can be dangerous.

“Mabel was a lovely little character and we were pleased to be able to help her. We are also glad to hear the incident didn’t totally ruin Claire’s birthday.”

Source: Read Full Article