Derry Girls star begs fans to ditch electrical item after her flat burns down

A star of hit comedy Derry Girls has warned against using cube plugs after one at her bedside sparked a devastating blaze.

Siobhan McSweeney, who plays austere nun Sister Michael in the Channel 4 series, was fortunately out of her flat when the multi-plug malfunctioned.

Firefighters arrived at the Belfast property and chopped down her front door to discover the whole flat filled with "acrid smoke".

The flames were so hot they cracked the property's windows, Belfast Live reported.

A fire chief told McSweeney her a cube double adaptor had fallen a small way out of its socket and created an electrical arc.

This in turn had sparked and caused the fire to take hold.

She told her 40,000 followers on Twitter:  “I’ve got some bad news. Last night my flat went on fire. Thankfully I was out at a stupid play otherwise it could have been a worse story.

"The fire alarms alerted my neighbours and thankfully they’re all safe too.

“Their kindness last night was an extraordinary thing. The thought of something happening to them makes me feel even more nauseous. Lovely old buildings and their thick walls.

“Two fire brigades arrived, chopped down my new front door to discover the whole flat in acrid smoke and my bedroom so hot it had cracked the windows."

Perhaps most alarmingly, the plug had fallen less than 2mm out of the socket.

“It had smouldered through my mattress and created such a heat it has melted the fire alarms and the fuse box in the hall next door," the actor continued.

"(The fire chief) assured me it wasn’t my fault.”

McSweeney, who grew up in Cork and has also starred in Dave's Porters, urged people with cube plugs to ditch them.

She said: “I’ve called my brother and he had a few in the house. Now the bin. Please please get rid of them.

"They are structured badly and it only takes a mm for there to be a spark.”

Source: Read Full Article