GET the barbecue blasting this summer with these hot and healthy recipes from WW.
As part of our Diabetes Weight Loss Plan, WW has created another array of summer-friendly foods to bring sunshine to your dinner table.
With diabetes affecting almost four million people in the UK – and many more living with the killer disease without even knowing it – the best way to fight it is to eat well and get fit.
Whether you want to reduce the risk of diabetes or lose those lockdown pounds*, these tasty treats will set you on the right path.
To find out if you are at risk of Type 2 diabetes, visit ww.com/uk/diabetes-risk-assessment.
Ultimate bacon cheeseburger
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 20g mixed dried mushrooms
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
- 450g extra lean beef mince (5 per cent)
- 170g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red onion – half grated, half thinly sliced
- Calorie-controlled cooking spray
- 100g WW Reduced Fat Grated Mature Cheese
- 1 large tomato, cut into 6 slices
- 6 x 60g burger buns
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- Put the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Stand for 15 minutes, or until softened. Drain and rinse. Pat dry with kitchen or tea towels, then finely chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place six bacon slices in a single layer between two paper towels and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until the bacon is partially cooked and still flexible. Leave to drain on the paper towels.
Repeat with the remaining six slices of bacon and once all done, set aside and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef mince, both types of mushrooms, grated onion and season well – try not to over-mix to keep the meat tender.
Shape into six patties and crisscross 2 strips of bacon on top of each one, tucking the bacon ends underneath.
- Mist a large griddle pan with cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the burgers, bacon ends down, and cook for six minutes per side, flipping one to two times until cooked through.
Sprinkle the cheese on the burgers and cook for 30 seconds, or until melted, then remove burgers from the heat.
- Sprinkle the tomato slices with a little salt.
To serve, place one burger on half a burger bun. Top with a tomato slice, the lettuce leaves, onion slices and the other half of the bun.
BBQ chicken, corn & slaw salad
Prep time: 10 mins
- 200g shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp ranch dressing
- 120g grilled skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 130g sweetcorn
- In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, spring onion and ranch dressing. Divide the salad between two bowls.
- Add the chicken and barbecue sauce to a small bowl. Toss to coat, then divide between the same bowls.
- Top each bowl with sweetcorn. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to one day.
Firecracker corn on the cob
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 30g low-fat spread
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 4 x 230g corn on the cob
- 30ml lime juice
- Heat a large griddle pan over a medium heat.
- Combine the low-fat spread with smoked paprika, chilli flakes and cumin in a small bowl and season.
- Rub the spice mixture evenly over the corn cobs and griddle for 20 minutes, turning regularly, until the kernels are tender and charred.
- Remove from the heat and squeeze over the juice of one lime to serve.
Prep time: 10 mins + marinating
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 160g light halloumi, cut into 24 equal cubes
- 240g white rice
- 1 red and one yellow pepper, both de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 80g pomegranate seeds, to serve
- 200g mixed leaves to serve
- For the marinade:
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 15g chopped fresh mint, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Place the halloumi in a non-metallic bowl, pour over the marinade and stir to thoroughly coat the pieces. Set aside for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the rice and cook according to the pack instructions. Drain.
- Preheat the grill to medium and line the pan with foil. If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for a few minutes then lift the halloumi pieces from the marinade.
Reserve any marinade and thread halloumi pieces on to the skewers, alternating with the pepper pieces.
- Grill the skewers, turning regularly for around five to seven minutes until golden and beginning to char.
Brush with the reserved marinade when turning.
Serve one skewer per person with the rice and mixed leaves, plus any remaining marinade drizzled over and a scattering of pomegranate seeds.
BBQ oregano & chilli chicken with feta cream and salad
Prep time: 20 mins + marinating
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- Handful chopped fresh oregano, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 2 long fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 courgettes, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 100g baby leaf salad
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g light feta, crumbled
- 120g reduced-fat soured cream
- Using a sharp knife, cut a few deep slashes into the thickest part of each piece of chicken.
Put the chicken in a large bowl, then add the chopped oregano, chillies, paprika and oil.
Turn to coat, cover with clingfilm and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat a large barbecue to a medium heat. Barbecue the chicken, turning occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the courgettes, peppers and onions on the barbecue, turning occasionally until lightly charred and tender. Transfer to a bowl with the salad leaves.
- Blitz the lemon zest and juice, garlic, feta and soured cream in a small food processor until almost smooth, then season well.
- Scatter the oregano leaves over the chicken and serve with the barbecued veg salad and feta cream on the side.
Italian-style grilled baby courgettes
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 600g baby courgette, halved lengthways
- Calorie-controlled cooking spray
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus wedges to serve
- 40g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese
- Set a griddle pan over a high heat. Mist the courgettes with cooking spray and season.
When the pan is lightly smoking, cook the courgettes for five minutes on each side until charred and tender (you may have to do this in batches).
- Transfer the courgettes to a serving plate and squeeze over the lemon juice.
Scatter over the cheese and serve with lemon wedges.
Exclusive offer: One month WW membership for FREE
TRY WW and get your first month free with this exclusive offer for Sun readers.
Choose from three different plans: Digital, Unlimited Workshops + Digital or Digital 360. Offer available until July 17, 2021.
To get your new healthy lifestyle off to a great start this summer and make 2021 your best year yet, visit ww.com/uk/thesunoffer or use your smartphone to scan the QR code, below.
Just sign up to WW during the promotional period and you will get your first month’s membership free.
Terms and conditions
- Full terms of the subscription plans must be completed and, other than in accordance with your statutory withdrawal rights, you will not be entitled to a refund in the event that you cancel your subscription prior to the end of your subscription plan.
- Offer open to mainland UK residents only who are 18 years and over.
- One claim per person and offer is non-transferable. Offer cannot be combined with other offers.
- WW reserves the right to change, amend or cancel this offer at any time.
- Your credit or debit card will automatically be charged up to one day prior to the start of each subsequent month of your subscription.
- Activation needs to be completed on the WW website.
- Subscriptions will automatically renew at the end of the plan at the standard monthly rate (currently £14.95 for Digital, £19.95 for Digital 360 and £22.95 for Unlimited Workshops + Digital) until you cancel.
- * WW’s recommended rate of weight loss is up to 2lbs a week.
Source: Read Full Article